Bernie started his career in logistics at Unilever, Leadership in professional property and construction and enterprise development at Salford and Lancaster Universities, Bernie set up Innovative Enterprise in 2006 to bring the future to life for organisations and young people.
After a successful three years and a Distinction in HND in Business and Finance, Bernie went on to work at Management levels in Unilever, a Professional Construction firm in Manchester, then Salford and Lancaster Universities where he completed a Degree and teaching qualification part time. Still feeling he was missing something, he did a fire walk at 38 years old and decided he wanted to work with young people.
Now 13 years on he’s designed and delivered more than 1,800 workshops and talks internationally, worked with 150,000 people, is a Fellow of the Professional Speaking Association, TEDx Speaker and entrepreneur. He has spoken internationally in the UK, Europe and the UAE and brings passion and enthusiasm to your event as a speaker, MC or facilitator. He is also a Director of National Careers Week CIC.
Bernie has worked with international companies such as Rolls Royce, Kellogg’s, BAE Systems, Mubadala, SHARP, Siemens, Plastipak, Unilever, ConvaTec, Jaguar Land Rover, Premier Foods, Busch Pumps, CoolKit, Safran, Survitec and GE / Unison.
Bernie regularly holds the attention of groups of 300 teenagers in school halls so he’s definitely got the enthusiasm, skills and passion to inspire and excite your audience with his blend of humour, personal experiences and thought-provoking questions.
Bernie is an author, expert professional and motivational speaker covering:
- Health and Wellbeing
- Men’s Health and Masculinity
- Harassment and appropriate conduct
His recent book – The Ladder – from Crown House publishing explores what he’s learned from working with 160,000 people and dozens of global organisations in the past decade. The Ladder can be summed up thus: “someone helped you in your career, how can you send the ladder back down for others?”
As a Fellow of the Professional Speaking Association and a Director of National Careers Week, Bernie has worked inspiring people alongside International Brands such as Kellogg’s, Rolls Royce, BAE Systems, Jaguar Land Rover, SHARP, Aircelle, GSK, RBS, NatWest, The NHS, Siemens, DELL, Urenco, Survitec, Sellafield, Prudential and M&G.
The key organisational questions Bernie will help you address are as follows:
- How can we develop creativity in our team? Using his Corporate Soapbox workshop concept your teams are put through their creative paces to design, make, brand and present their own REAL product…then we look at the attitudes, skills and creativity that made it happen!
- How can we create a culture that inspires and develops young people? Young people are the lifeblood of any country, region and organisation – how can we develop their engagement, skills and ability through your team’s expertise and Corporate Social Activities?
- LAUNCH Resilience and Leadership to develop your teams and organisation with a range of tools and techniques, including the 10 Traits of Resilience.
- Understanding Men’s Health and Masculinity: using his experiences from being an angry young man and surviving testicular cancer, Bernie challenges the unhelpful brand of masculinity which labels personal care as weakness and humility as inadequacy.
- Appropriate Conduct and Support at Work: opening difficult conversations about workplace culture and how to have discussions around it. Just as domestic abuse doesn’t start with a punch in the face, bullying and harassment at work don’t often start with public humiliation.